This qualification has been designed for the Gas Installation Industry. Completion of this pathway will enable you to apply for Gas Safe Registration and work in the UK, Isle of Man and Guernsey.
- Awarding Body: City & Guilds
- Level: 3
- Mode: Part Time
About the qualification
Choosing this pathway will help you demonstrate the specialist knowledge and skills to deal with gas emergencies, gas installation and maintenance for water heating and wet central heating, planning work activities, maintaining a safe work environment and gas safety. You will be taught in the classroom with realistic situations and actual appliances. You will also complete the course on the job in a work environment.
Who is it for
This qualification is aimed at those employed in the industry who wish to work towards Gas Safe registration in order to work as a gas engineer in the UK, Isle of Man and Guernsey. You can also undertake this pathway if you are new to the industry or an apprentice.
What will you achieve.
By the end of the course you should be able to…
- Have the knowledge and understanding of the general health and safety and of building services and structures requirements for working in the gas industry.
- Have the knowledge and understanding of scientific principles and combustion properties in gas utilisation.
- Demonstrate whole job competence, also facilitating Gas Safe Registration.
- Be competent in recognising national occupational standards, install, commission and decommission domestic gas water heaters & wet central heating appliances and gas pipework.
- Have the knowledge and understanding of water science, water processes, water principles and environmental considerations and requirements.
- Install, maintain, decommission and soundness test a basic range of cold, hot and central heating system/component types in dwellings and industrial/commercial properties (of similar size and scope to domestic dwellings).
- Prepare, install, inspect, test and fault diagnose/rectify electrical components, equipment and connections to the Domestic MES systems.
There are no entry requirements for this qualification. However, we will assess your suitability to ensure that you have the potential and opportunity to gain the qualification successfully. This qualification is not approved for use by learners under the age of 16.
This pathway can help you progress in a wide range of domestic gas engineering roles including:
- Gas Installation Engineer
- Heating Engineer
- Gas Maintenance Engineer
- Gas Service Technician
On completion you can take other pathways to broaden your skills within the Gas Utilisation Sector by taking further pathways within this suite or obtain further competencies by taking non QCF ACS tests.
You could also take the following qualifications:
- Level 3 Award in First Line Management
- Level 3 Diploma in First Line Management
Level 3 Certificate in First Line Management
This qualification aims to help learners become competent in installing and maintaining gas utilisation water heating and wet central heating systems, and enable the learner to apply for Gas Safe Registration.
How you will be assessed
You will be assessed in a number of ways including knowledge questions, Gas Safety RWE practical, a portfolio of evidence and observation.
To achieve the Level 3 Diploma in Gas Utilisation Installation: Water Heating and Wet Central Heating, learners must achieve 206 credits from the following mandatory units:
- Understanding health and safety in gas utilisation
- Understanding scientific principles in gas utilitsation
- Understanding combustion and properties of gas
- Understanding building, services and structures
- Understanding gas safety
- Specific core installation and maintenance
- Install domestic gas water heating and wet central heating appliances
- Maintain gas water heating and wet central heating appliances
- Install, commission and de-commission gas pipework up to 33mm (1 ¼) diameter in domestic and small commercial premises
- Tightness test, purge, commission and de-commission gas pipework uo to 35mm (1 ¼) diameter in small natural gas installations
- Water compulsory core unit
- Understand and apply domestic cold water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic hot water system installation and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic central heating system installation and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic cold water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic hot water system, installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic central heating system, installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Install and maintain domestic heating systems
- Install, commission, service and maintain domestic heating systems
- Understand and carry out electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems
Investing in a Gas pathway is rewarding and fulfilling; we see the benefits of it as we support you in your studies. Contact us on: + 44 (0) 203 488 1852 to discuss your possibilities and choices with Training Skills UK.