This qualification will help you towards working within the mechanical engineering services sector and progress as a qualified plumber or heating engineer.
- Awarding Body: City & Guilds
- Level: 3
- Mode: Part Time
About the qualification
The qualification will allow you to become competent to industry standard within the mechanical engineering services sector as a qualified plumber or heating engineer. It covers elements of health and safety, hot and cold water, domestic central heating, and servicing and maintaining plumbing systems. Those choosing gas-related units at Level 3 will achieve the Gas Safe licence to practise on successful completion of the qualification.
Who is it for
It is aimed at those who have already completed the Level 2 qualification or with some relevant experience and knowledge of the industry.
What will you achieve.
By the end of the course you should be able to…
- Organise and plan work programs, risk assessments, method statements in the BSE in a supervisory role and knowing the responsibilities of others and communicating with them.
- Apply design techniques, installation, maintenance, diagnostics and rectification of faults and commissioning procedures, along with the backflow protection in plumbing systems to comply with current legislations.
- Install, maintain, apply design techniques to include heat and ventilation loss through the building fabric, diagnose and rectify faults and commissioning procedures.
- Demonstrate the correct selection of system types and components, install domestic heating and hot water systems, commission, diagnose faults and rectify those faults.
You must have completed the Level 2 qualification or have some relevant experience and knowledge of the industry.
This qualification can help you to progress in a wide range of roles within the domestic plumbing and heating sector, including:
- Heating and ventilation engineer
- Specialised craftsperson (plumber or heating engineer)
- Project development manager
- Senior skilled operative
On completion of this qualification candidates may progress into employment or to the following City and Guilds qualifications:
- Level 3 Award in the Installation of Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems
- Level 3 Award in the Installation and Maintenance of Solar Thermal Hot Water Systems
- Level 3 Award in the Installation of Heat Pumps Systems
- Level 3 Award in Installation and Maintenance of Heat Pumps Systems
- Level 3 Award in Installation of Water Harvesting and Reuse Systems
- Level 3 Award in Installation and Maintenance of Water Harvesting and Reuse Systems
Level 4 Higher Professional Diploma in Building Services Engineering
This qualification aims to allow learners to become competent within the mechanical engineering services sector. Learners are required to demonstrate the ability to perform the necessary skills and the knowledge required to be assessed against the National Occupational standards.
How you will be assessed
Assessment entails a combination of online multiple-choice examinations and building a portfolio of evidence to show your competency skills in-house. You will also be assessed via observation and the development of a portfolio in a working environment to the criteria set out in each unit.
To achieve the Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Plumbing and Heating, learners must achieve 56 credits form the core group mandatory units plus:
- Understand how to organise resources within BSE
- Understand and apply domestic cold water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic hot water system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and apply domestic central heating system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Understand and carry out electrical work on domestic plumbing and heating systems and components
- Understand and apply domestic sanitation system installation, commissioning, service and maintenance techniques
- Install, commission, service and maintain domestic plumbing and heating systems
Becoming a fully qualified plumber will set you apart from the pack; we aim to help you stand out.
Investing in a Plumbing pathway is rewarding and fulfilling; we see the benefits of it as we support you in your studies. Contact us on: + 44 (0) 203 488 1852 to discuss your possibilities and choices with Training Skills UK.